America is a nation of immigrants. It is also governed by the rule of law. Today’s U.S. immigration system fails to honor those values.
The time has come for realistic immigration solutions that will both strengthen national security and boost economic growth. America needs an immigration system that places more resources toward enforcement of laws, produces a more dynamic and skilled labor force, and enables U.S. businesses and workers to compete more effectively in the global marketplace. Getting reform right is essential to a healthier economy — accelerating growth, encouraging hiring and creating jobs.
That is why, as American business leaders, the Business Roundtable proposes common sense solutions that will better secure U.S. borders; provide for consistent enforcement of laws; and encourage immigrants to come here legally, work hard and contribute to America As outlined in Business Roundtable's report "Taking Action on Immigration: Realistic Solutions for Fixing a Broken System", these solutions include:
Improving Security and Enforcing Immigration Laws
- Eliminate the magnet of illegal employment.
- Pursue more effective strategies to secure American borders and ports of entry.
- Provide for consistent and effective enforcement of immigration laws across the country.
Welcoming Legal Immigrant Workers To Contribute to America
- Increase the number of highly educated immigrants permitted to work legally in the United States each year.
- Establish a workable legal system for those who may not have higher education but are needed for specific sectors, including agriculture, hospitality and construction.
Finding a Solution for Unauthorized Immigrants and Integrating Immigrants into Society
- Allow those unauthorized immigrants already residing here to come forward, pay a penalty and earn a legal status.
- Facilitate the integration of immigrants into American society.