Stephen J. Squeri became Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of American Express Company on February 1, 2018. In his previous role as Vice Chairman, Steve led the company’s Global Commercial Services group, as well as its shared services groups, which include technology, customer servicing, credit administration and business services functions.
Steve joined American Express in 1985 as a manager in the Travellers Cheque Group. From 2000 to 2002, he served as President of the Establishment Services group in the U.S. and Canada, and he was President of the Corporate Card group from 2002 to 2005, during which time he globalized the business. Steve became the company’s Chief Information Officer in 2005 and also led the Corporate Development function, overseeing mergers and acquisitions. In 2009, Steve was named Group President and led the formation of the Global Services Group, consolidating and globalizing the company’s shared services functions. He was named Vice Chairman in 2015.
Over the course of his career at American Express, Steve:
- Brought together separate divisions supporting small businesses, middle market firms and large companies to form the Commercial Services Group, which today represents 40 percent of overall Card Member spending.
- Led companywide reengineering efforts that lowered operating expenses and reallocated investment resources to many of the initiatives that are now driving the company’s growth.
- Reorganized the company’s Global Business Travel group into a joint venture, with access to additional investment resources to grow the business and support our commercial customers.
- Oversaw the transformation of the Technology group into an agile resource that is driving product and service innovations across the business.
- Combined stand-alone, regional operations into the Global Servicing Network that provides award-winning service to customers around the world.
- Led the company’s Y2K preparedness and transition initiative.
- Helped transform the Merchant Services group from a travel & entertainment network into one that supports the everyday spending needs of our Card Members, and pioneered early partnerships with third parties to sign new merchants.
Before joining American Express, Steve spent four years as a management consultant at Arthur Andersen and Company. He holds a Bachelor of Science and an MBA from Manhattan College.
Steve is a member of the Executive Committee of the Partnership for New York. He is also a member of the Board of Trustees of the Valerie Fund and Manhattan College, as well as serving on the Board of Governors for Monsignor McClancy Memorial High School.