Washington - Today, Business Roundtable Energy and Environment Committee Chair George Oliver, Chairman and CEO of Johnson Controls, issued the following statement on the Senate Energy and Natural Resources markup of the Energy Infrastructure Act:
“Business Roundtable supports the Energy Infrastructure Act because it prioritizes much-needed investment in America’s energy systems and the transition to a low-carbon future. This legislation supports the energy infrastructure of tomorrow by including grid security and modernization, increasing energy efficiency, and by making significant investments in research, development and demonstration of clean energy technologies. We urge policymakers and the Biden Administration to include such energy provisions in the bipartisan infrastructure package currently being negotiated to strengthen America’s vibrant energy sector for the 21st century and beyond.”
The Energy Infrastructure Act includes many provisions that align with existing Business Roundtable positions on climate and energy policy, including:
- Funding for climate-related research and technology such as hydrogen, carbon capture and sequestration that will be needed to reduce emissions;
- Funding for technical assistance and energy audits to accelerate building energy efficiency;
- A path for greater electrification of the transportation sector;
- Grid security and modernization; and
- Methane emissions reductions.
Business Roundtable fully endorses the bipartisan infrastructure framework and urges Congress to send it to President Biden’s desk for signature before the August recess.