At Ball Corporation, our investment in our people has always been and continues to be a critical part of our business. One of our most important investments is in the health and well-being of our employees and their families, with programs focused on helping them become healthier versions of themselves.
To help offset the rising costs of health care and to encourage healthier behaviors, Ball implemented a formalized wellness program for North American employees in 2008, starting with biometric screenings at annual health fairs at Ball’s U.S. worksites to encourage employees to “know their numbers.” Additionally, we’ve sponsored an activity campaign, health risk appraisals, at-worksite health improvement programs and health coaching.
In 2013, we offered new Ball Consumer Choice Medical Plans (BCCPs) that encourage employees to focus on receiving high-quality medical care at affordable prices using educated consumer behaviors. To help employees and their families manage their health and be “smart shoppers” when spending health care dollars, we began a robust, targeted communications campaign that describes the tools, resources and support provided within our new BCCPs.
Our new plans and accompanying communications were designed to put employees and their family members in the driver’s seat — encouraging them to take more control over their health and health care spending by:
- Understanding medical treatment options using telephonic decisionmaking support
- Encouraging employees to use in-network providers since, in general, both the employees’
- and Ball’s costs will be lower
- Reminding employees to shop around even if they go to in-network providers, facilities or pharmacies, as the quality and costs of patient care received could vary significantly for the same services at different places
- Comparing physician/hospital quality and cost to ensure affordable, excellent care
- Reviewing medication options and finding low-cost pharmacies for those medications
- Understanding their individual health risks through biometric screenings, preventive screenings and other health risk assessments
- Finding ways to improve those risks by getting individualized support from health experts branded as “health advocates”
- Using all that information to make quality- and cost-effective health care spending decisions by getting the right services at the right place at the right time
We are committed to pursuing innovative solutions that drive more informed consumer behaviors in health care, help employees become healthier versions of themselves and ultimately ensure Ball’s ability to continue offering competitive, sustainable benefits.