Rockwell Automation, the world’s largest company dedicated to industrial automation, is committed to improving the standard of living for everyone by making the world more productive and sustainable. This starts with our employees and their families: we provide tools and resources to enable employees to actively manage their health. We focus on driving accountability — for both providers and consumers — to create value-based outcomes.
In 2003, we began offering account-based medical plans and covering preventive care at 100 percent, long before this was required. That year, we founded the Business Health Care Group (BHCG) along with 14 other CEOs to collectively drive our cost from 39 percent above to at or below the Midwest average within five years. Most recent data confirms that BHCG member companies are collectively 11 percent below that average. We achieved this by employing consistent messaging, driving transparency and disrupting the market on how we buy health care.
We believe that rewarding outcomes is the best way to achieve outcomes. That’s why we’ve moved beyond just awareness of individual health risks to now focus on taking action on our personal health goals and achieving outcomes that matter. In 2010, we increased our focus on promoting healthy lifestyles by introducing “Live Healthy” programs designed to reward not just health improvement, but health achievement. Today, 77 percent of employees meet three or more healthy targets, resulting in a cumulative risk reduction of 9.5 percent over the past four years.
- Require vendor collaboration to ensure that our partners deliver an integrated member experience;
- Maintain a scorecard to measure the impact of our efforts in five key areas: health engagement, lifestyle/behavior, clinical outcomes, financial and benefit design;
- Provide onsite clinics, fitness centers and local wellness teams to engage populations and embed wellness into local cultures;
- Continue workplace evaluations and implement changes to include healthy food initiatives and healthier options in our cafeterias and vending machines;
- Offer the Best Doctors program to guide employees to the right care for the right diagnosis; and
- Provide a comprehensive approach to health improvement for all populations, including tracking and recognition for those already active, customized wellness coaching program for those just getting started, and more rigorous clinical interventions for those with care needs.
We’ve made huge strides in driving positive outcomes. Our continued commitment to finding innovative solutions to balance costs and improve the health of our employees makes us a healthier company overall.