Freeport-McMoRan is committed to offering a comprehensive benefits program that provides choice, flexibility and the foundation for employees to manage their health, wellness and quality of life. Freeport-McMoRan promotes the best health care available to employees and their families with:
- A full-time medical director, who continually monitors the quality of benefits, actively engages in significant medical cases when requested and serves as an advocate for employees;
- A successful and highly regarded annual employee wellness medical program;
- Preventive services covered 100 percent under all medical plans;
- Wellness facilities at larger sites, including fitness classes for employees;
- Health fairs at corporate and larger operating sites, including flu shots, biometric screenings and health plan information;
- Onsite medical facilities funded by Freeport-McMoRan at certain remote mining locations;
- Trained medical response personnel at all operating sites; and
- International medical service provider for employees assigned or traveling to non-U.S. sites.
Health and wellness benefits include multiple medical plan options designed for local markets and the needs of employees, including a high-deductible health plan with a health savings account to facilitate employees’ understanding and awareness of their health care results and costs. Other health and wellness benefits include dental and vision plans and flexible savings accounts. Quality of life programs, such as adoption and employee assistance programs, provide support for employees’ emotional well-being.
Freeport-McMoRan uses multiple communication sources to ensure employees understand and effectively use their benefits. Following best practices, benefits program information is available online, on flyers posted at our sites and through mailings to employee homes. In an effort to reach the broader workforce, employees may also use readers on their smart phones to access the information. For 2014, the company is focusing on tools to help employees select and use the benefits best suited to their personal and family needs, including a medical plan selection instrument and an annual outreach program to remind employees to use the wellness benefits.
To address the specific health needs of our population, Freeport-McMoRan recently introduced a diabetes prevention pilot program offered through our insurer, which has been well received and used. As part of the program, employees take an online test to determine their risk for diabetes and diabetes-related health issues. Based on the results, employees are given options to address those risk factors.
Freeport-McMoRan continues to look for opportunities to support and engage employees in their health and wellness.