Sanofi US is part of a leading global health care company that discovers, develops, produces and markets innovative therapies to help protect health and enhance people’s lives. We have a strong commitment to improving the health and well-being of our employees and their families and have instituted a comprehensive wellness initiative called “Health in Action.”
We have implemented targeted programs to cover the entire health care continuum, from those who are well or may be at risk, to those with an acute or chronic condition, to those who may be facing a highly complex or catastrophic diagnosis. These include:
- Health management resources like biometric screenings, health assessments, and health advisors who help our people understand their risks and develop personalized action plans;
- Lifestyle management coaching that provides support for making lifestyle changes such as quitting tobacco, losing weight, becoming more physically active and managing stress;
- Weight Watchers program and discounted gym memberships; and
- Condition management coaching that provides support for managing conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, asthma, cancer and so on.
In addition, we also have a number of onsite resources, such as:
- Healthy cafeterias that offer large selections of healthy foods, discounts for healthy options and posting of complete nutritional information;
- Fitness centers and/or physical activity classes;
- Primary care and occupational health clinics, which also provide onsite vaccinations such as flu shots; and
- Tobacco-free campuses at all of our locations.
In order to bring all of these resources together, we have incorporated a framework that includes a strategy for communication and promotion, outcomes measurement, linkages with health benefit design, education and engagement, and an incentive structure that rewards participants for demonstrating healthy behaviors. We seek to provide an initiative that is individual-centric, empowering and uplifting, intuitive and innovative, and aligned with our organization.
While our initiative is still in the early stages, we have seen encouraging and positive results:
- Participation in the programs has steadily risen.
- Participant self-reported risk factors have been declining.
- There has been a large increase in our population’s use of preventive services and screenings, including breast cancer, cervical cancer and colorectal cancer screenings.
- Our company’s total health care trend (medical and drug combined) is lower than both national and peer-group benchmarks.
We are excited to continue on this wellness journey and to better the lives of our most valuable resource — our people.