SAS is not only the pioneer in analytics, but also a pioneer in innovative health care and wellness initiatives. Our mission promotes optimal health and demonstrates a model of quality health care through programs and services like our onsite Health Care Center (HCC). Opening in 1984, the HCC was a unique model that would become an integral part of our health care initiatives in an ever-evolving U.S. health care system.
Recognized as an industry leader, the HCC provides primary care across the employee lifespan, meeting the changing needs of a growing and aging workforce. Onsite and free, the HCC model is risk assessment and mitigation when possible and early and evidence-based treatment when disease is found. One example is a multidisciplinary diabetes self-management program to catch type 2 diabetes early and improve management and outcomes — sometimes reversing the diagnosis. The program has expanded its focus to prediabetes and insulin resistance, seeking to stop type 2 diabetes in its tracks.
Our belief that good health is good business created the following savings in 2013:
- Health plan savings (avoided medical claims) of $3,754,392;
- Value of employee time (time saved by staying on campus) equivalent to $4,637,777; and
- A return on investment of $2.51 for every $1 spent on HCC operations.
In 2012, the HCC expanded its services to include a full-service pharmacy that offers convenient and comprehensive services, saving SAS on average $23 per prescription. SAS partners with a prescription benefit manager with a unique fiduciary business model allowing true pass-through pricing and total disclosure and reducing SAS’ prescription costs by approximately $1.5 million.
Staying true to our innovative nature, programs under development include:
- Wellness coaching pilot, which will provide core competencies necessary to make sustainable lifestyle changes and improve long-term health;
- Research with Duke University that addresses health care use with varying HCC usage, avoidable emergency room and inpatient medical claims and impact of HCC primary care on health status; and
- Jointly sponsored project by SAS Benefits and HCC, which introduces a new patient care platform to measure and monitor health care services built on SAS Visual Analytics usingour cloud computing environment and data science team. This will provide a comparison of patient care managed by the HCC and external health care providers, ensuring that employees and families receive high-quality, cost-effective, evidence-based care. The platform will identify treatment trends, compare service options, and report anonymous data to drive policy decisions.
SAS continues to be recognized as an innovator in health care and employer-sponsored wellness programs.