At Edison International, and through our subsidiary Southern California Edison (SCE), we believe that proactive investment in the health, safety and wellness of our 13,000+ employees is essential to the long-term success of our business. We support an enterprise-wide culture of health and wellness for our employees and deliver a wide range of innovative and effective health options. We have a strong integrated safety and wellness brand, “Choose Wellness… Your Way,” with programs and services that empower employees to be healthy, safe, productive and well. Some of these offerings include:
- Corporate wellness center — offers wellness evaluation, biometric screening, mental health assessment, hearing assessment/ conservation, lung capacity and wellness coaching;
- Corporate fitness center — features a professional staff, group exercise, personal training, functional movement screening and delivery of Work Readiness Certification (WRC) training;
- Preventive health account — offers reimbursement for wellness activities, up to a dollar limit, after completion of a health risk assessment;
- Relaxation rooms (some locations) — create a quiet/soothing environment to support employees’ need for managing/reducing stress while at work;
- Wellness ambassador program — acts as a volunteer employee network who generate and implement wellness initiatives;
- Mindful nutrition — delivers healthy meal choices through partnerships with our food vendors; and
- Employee assistance program — offers confidential counseling, stress management, resiliency and work/life resource and referral services.
As a result of SCE’s commitment to employee health, in 2014 the company received two awards from the American Heart Association, the Gold Fit-Friendly Worksite Award and the Worksite Innovation Award.
The latter award recognized SCE’s innovative WRC Program, a multivariable, dynamic warm-up injury prevention program. Based on scientific research and internally developed to address SCE’s largest injury and incident category — sprains and strains — WRC supports improvement of employees’ overall health and muscle conditioning to reduce injuries by targeting muscle groups used by both industrial and office employees. To date, we’ve trained more than 2,000 certified leaders/employees at 73 locations in all 13 operating units, and we have more than 4,000 participants. The WRC program has contributed to the company’s reduction in strains and sprains, resulting in a positive impact to our overall safety record.
Moving forward, SCE will continue to review our investment in the health, safety and wellness of our employees as part of our culture and a significant factor in our long-term success.